Time Team expert to give talk about the Fens in Soham
- Credit: Archant
Archaeologist and star of Channel 4’s Time Team, Francis Pryor, will be in Soham on November 15 hosting a talk on the ‘Mysteries of the Fens’.
Held at The Brook, in Soham, the talk will be a unique insight into the history of the area from one the country’s leading authorities on the subject.
Francis said: “The Fens are seen as a once-wet wilderness where the people have webbed feet and yellow faces, living in mud cottages and living off eels. In short, the reputation of the Fens is grim and bleak.
“The reality was altogether very different. In the Middle Ages the area was prosperous, largely due to the wool and textile trade, which is why it still boasts some of the finest churches in the land.”
“The Fens have also produced vast quantities of Bronze Age metalwork, and the huge hoard of Iron Age gold from Snettisham is unrivalled anywhere in Europe.”
Doors open at 6pm for a 6.30pm start, the event will include complementary mulled wine and a selection of canapés.
Tickets are £15 with all proceeds going to Ormiston Children and Families Trust.
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
For more information and tickets, e-mail email@example.com or call 01473 705030.
To buy tickets online visit www.ormistoncft.ticketsource.co.uk