Time Team expert to give talk about the Fens in Soham
- Credit: Archant
Archaeologist and star of Channel 4’s Time Team, Francis Pryor, will be in Soham on November 15 hosting a talk on the ‘Mysteries of the Fens’.
Held at The Brook, in Soham, the talk will be a unique insight into the history of the area from one the country’s leading authorities on the subject.
Francis said: “The Fens are seen as a once-wet wilderness where the people have webbed feet and yellow faces, living in mud cottages and living off eels. In short, the reputation of the Fens is grim and bleak.
“The reality was altogether very different. In the Middle Ages the area was prosperous, largely due to the wool and textile trade, which is why it still boasts some of the finest churches in the land.”
“The Fens have also produced vast quantities of Bronze Age metalwork, and the huge hoard of Iron Age gold from Snettisham is unrivalled anywhere in Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
Doors open at 6pm for a 6.30pm start, the event will include complementary mulled wine and a selection of canapés.
Tickets are £15 with all proceeds going to Ormiston Children and Families Trust.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Man named following fatal collision
- 6 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 7 Ex-councillor launches 'one million steps' charity challenge
- 8 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 9 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
For more information and tickets, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01473 705030.
To buy tickets online visit www.ormistoncft.ticketsource.co.uk