Time Team expert to give talk about the Fens in Soham
- Credit: Archant
Archaeologist and star of Channel 4’s Time Team, Francis Pryor, will be in Soham on November 15 hosting a talk on the ‘Mysteries of the Fens’.
Held at The Brook, in Soham, the talk will be a unique insight into the history of the area from one the country’s leading authorities on the subject.
Francis said: “The Fens are seen as a once-wet wilderness where the people have webbed feet and yellow faces, living in mud cottages and living off eels. In short, the reputation of the Fens is grim and bleak.
“The reality was altogether very different. In the Middle Ages the area was prosperous, largely due to the wool and textile trade, which is why it still boasts some of the finest churches in the land.”
“The Fens have also produced vast quantities of Bronze Age metalwork, and the huge hoard of Iron Age gold from Snettisham is unrivalled anywhere in Europe.”
Doors open at 6pm for a 6.30pm start, the event will include complementary mulled wine and a selection of canapés.
Tickets are £15 with all proceeds going to Ormiston Children and Families Trust.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
For more information and tickets, e-mail email@example.com or call 01473 705030.
To buy tickets online visit www.ormistoncft.ticketsource.co.uk