Time Team expert to give talk about the Fens in Soham
- Credit: Archant
Archaeologist and star of Channel 4’s Time Team, Francis Pryor, will be in Soham on November 15 hosting a talk on the ‘Mysteries of the Fens’.
Held at The Brook, in Soham, the talk will be a unique insight into the history of the area from one the country’s leading authorities on the subject.
Francis said: “The Fens are seen as a once-wet wilderness where the people have webbed feet and yellow faces, living in mud cottages and living off eels. In short, the reputation of the Fens is grim and bleak.
“The reality was altogether very different. In the Middle Ages the area was prosperous, largely due to the wool and textile trade, which is why it still boasts some of the finest churches in the land.”
“The Fens have also produced vast quantities of Bronze Age metalwork, and the huge hoard of Iron Age gold from Snettisham is unrivalled anywhere in Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
Doors open at 6pm for a 6.30pm start, the event will include complementary mulled wine and a selection of canapés.
Tickets are £15 with all proceeds going to Ormiston Children and Families Trust.
- 1 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 2 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 5 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 9 Watch as police smash their way into suspected drug dealer’s flat
- 10 Residents reminisce as they dance, drink and get tattoos
For more information and tickets, e-mail email@example.com or call 01473 705030.
To buy tickets online visit www.ormistoncft.ticketsource.co.uk