Time-lapse footage captures construction of Ely Museum’s £1.66 million renovation
- Credit: Archant
A time-lapse video has showed the progress of Ely Museum’s £1.66 million renovation – as their new education room is constructed.
It's all part of a National Lottery Heritage Fund given in January 2019 to renovate the existing site and create additional learning spaces for visitors.
The new education room will be a 21st century space for children to learn about the heritage of the city.
Footage shows construction teams RG Carter and Excel Carpenters carrying out the initial groundwork before the special hand-cut roof is set to take shape on the second floor.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund tweeted: "It made our souls soar to watch this time-lapse of the new education space growing up at @ElyMuseum.
"What a difference our players make."
The biggest changes will be within the historic Old Gaol where new and interactive galleries will be created and the historic features of our 13th century gaol revealed.
- 1 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 2 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 3 Knife crime stigma continues as county rises above national average
- 4 Award for company that uses data to help MS patients
- 5 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 6 5 miles of congestion on A14 after crash involving car and two lorries
- 7 Efforts of Cambridgeshire’s Covid community champions recognised in Parliament
- 8 Ely City Crusaders U16 cap the season off with win against Lakenheath
- 9 Prince Edward rewards Ely air cadets for Duke of Edinburgh work
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
Staff and volunteers spent summer last year packing up objects in the collection store.
More than 8,000 objects ranging from a Roman coffin weighing in at over a tonne to tiny fossils from the warm Jurassic seas that once covered the Isle of Ely were temporary moved from the site.
The museum is due to open to the public in late autumn this year.