Sixty-six bed three-storey care home for the elderly will be built in Ely creating nearly 50 jobs
- Credit: Archant
A new three-storey 66 bed care home that will create nearly 50 jobs has been given the go ahead to be built on a field in Ely.
The site will be accessed from a newly formed estate road off School Road, which leads off Cam Drive.
Plans say that 46 jobs would be created from local people as the site is “very much a community care facility.”
The home will be built by LNT Care Developments who were behind Ferrars Hall in Huntingdon.
Planning documents state that residents are expected to live three miles from the site.
It reads: “The development of this site for a care home will have a positive impact upon the area by developing the site for a use that would be beneficial and fulfill a need, whilst providing a development sympathetic in terms of its scale and design.
“The development would bring economic benefits by creating employment and economic activity, both during construction and in the long-term operation of the home.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
“Residents of the home would be expected to emanate from an area no more than three miles from the site or be associated with families/relatives that reside within this same catchment. The majority of the new jobs created would also be expected to be filled by suitable candidates from the same local area.”
The home will have 20 car parking spaces including two disabled spaces close to the main entrance and an ambulance and taxi rank.
It continues: “The objective is to provide a character of accommodation that would provide a higher quality of life for residents than more conventionally designed facilities. In addition it is to provide accommodation respectful of the character of the area and that makes best use of the sites most positive assets, attributes and aspects.”
It is also added that during the construction phase, a temporary haul road will be utilised through the residential site to the south west, also off Cam Drive.
Plans were approved at a East Cambs Planning Committee on April 4.
LNT has developed around 100 care homes since 2005, in a number of locations across Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Midlands.