Three Choirs Combine For Concert at Ely Cathedral on Saturday
A CONCERT combining the choirs of Ely Cathedral with choirs from Cambridge will take place at Ely Cathedral on Saturday. Ely s Norman cathedral will once again play host to two Cambridge choirs from Selwyn and Girton colleges who will perform with the ca
A CONCERT combining the choirs of Ely Cathedral with choirs from Cambridge will take place at Ely Cathedral on Saturday.
Ely's Norman cathedral will once again play host to two Cambridge choirs from Selwyn and Girton colleges who will perform with the cathedral choirs, including the Ely Cathedral Girls Choir, under the Octagon at Ely.
Paul Trepte, director of music at the cathedral says the prospect of having these four world renowned choirs performing as one voice is exciting.
"The programme is built around a complete, but slightly 'scattered' performance of Haydn's Nelson Mass. This will be an interesting and unusual experience because the various mass movements will be directed by different conductors. This concert is unique in that it provides an opportunity to hear four spectacular choirs mixing their music - it will be really quite a special occasion."
You may also want to watch:
Although the orchestra and choirs will combine together for the Haydn Mass there will also be an opportunity for each choir to be heard singing on its own. The music sung by the separate choirs will include pieces by some of the 2009 'anniversary composers', namely Handel, Purcell and Mendelssohn.
INFO: Tickets are priced at �5, �10, �15 & �20 and available from Ely Cathedral box office on (01353) 660349 or online www.elycathedral.org
- 1 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 2 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 3 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 7 Motorcycle firm gearing up to show off lockdown project
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 10 Offensive graffiti: ‘Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire’
Pic cap: the Ely Cathedral Girls' Choir will take part in the concert on Saturday.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE