Thousands to be spent upgrading subway at Ely’s train station
- Credit: Archant
Train operator, Greater Anglia, is to invest tens of thousands in upgrading the subway at Ely rail station.
The subway is to be clad in special aluminium powder-coated panels to improve its appearance and make it easier to clean and maintain.
Work on the £150,000 scheme is due to start by the end of the month, with work to clad the subway expected to take around 10 weeks to complete.
The work, funded through the national stations improvement programme, will see a new low maintenance cladding applied to the subway, with integral lighting which will brighten the subway as well as creating a smarter, cleaner appearance.
The subway will remain open throughout the works to minimise disruption to customers, although at a reduced width while each side of the wall is clad.
You may also want to watch:
Abellio Greater Anglia’s head of customer services, Andrew Goodrum, said: “This is a significant upgrade to Ely station which will create an improved ambience and pleasant station environment for our customers.
“Abellio Greater Anglia is committed to upgrades at stations across the network to improve the travelling experience.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity