Thousands to be spent upgrading subway at Ely’s train station
- Credit: Archant
Train operator, Greater Anglia, is to invest tens of thousands in upgrading the subway at Ely rail station.
The subway is to be clad in special aluminium powder-coated panels to improve its appearance and make it easier to clean and maintain.
Work on the £150,000 scheme is due to start by the end of the month, with work to clad the subway expected to take around 10 weeks to complete.
The work, funded through the national stations improvement programme, will see a new low maintenance cladding applied to the subway, with integral lighting which will brighten the subway as well as creating a smarter, cleaner appearance.
The subway will remain open throughout the works to minimise disruption to customers, although at a reduced width while each side of the wall is clad.
You may also want to watch:
Abellio Greater Anglia’s head of customer services, Andrew Goodrum, said: “This is a significant upgrade to Ely station which will create an improved ambience and pleasant station environment for our customers.
“Abellio Greater Anglia is committed to upgrades at stations across the network to improve the travelling experience.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment