Thousands flock to Ely for ‘fabulous’ annual Folk Festival
- Credit: Archant
Music, games and fun was in abundance at the 31st annual Ely Folk Festival.
Visitors to the city were treated to dozens of live bands and artists, morris displays, workshops and food and craft stalls as the three-day festival kicked off last Friday with bands Blackbeard’s Tea Party, The Young ‘uns, Monster Ceilidh Band, Tom Figgins and Georgia Lewis & Friends.
Diversity is always one of the festival’s main themes and this year was no different, with a mixture of folk and roots music keeping the thousands in attendance entertained until Sunday evening, when RURA, Other Roads, Dougie MacLean and Altan brought the festival to a close with their celtic inspired hits in marquee one.
The yearly festival proved to be a hit once again and organiser, Fionnuala Lennon, said it produced some truly magic moments
“It was a fantastic festival with some very exciting bands performing,” she said. “We got lots of positive feedback and the weather was very kind.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the real highlights was in the marquee when everyone was dancing and swaying along to Edward II.
“Another was when Altan brought on Dougie MacLean on the Sunday night and everyone was dancing along; it was just one of those magical moments that you wouldn’t be able to recreate if you tried.”
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
Festival goers also thought the weekend with a hit, with one posting on Facebook: “Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen. I’ve already got the dates in the diary for next year, can’t wait.”