Thieves target cash machines
THERE have been fur reprts f peple falling victim t cash machine distractins in Harlw. Plice have said that the persn using the machine has been distracted while their card is remved frm the machine befre a number f fraudulent cash withdrawa
THERE have been fur reprts f peple falling victim t cash machine distractins in Harlw.
Plice have said that the persn using the machine has been distracted while their card is remved frm the machine befre a number f fraudulent cash withdrawals are made at nearby machines.
Tw incidents happened at Barclays Bank, ne at Llyds TSB bank and ne in the lbby f HSBC.
Thieves have interrupted peple making cash withdrawals by appraching them and saying smething similar t, "Is this £10 yurs?"
This tends t happen as the victim's card is abut t cme ut f the machine and sme ffenders have accmplices wh have watched the PIN number entered and will take the card while the victim is being distracted.
Graham Anthny, Crime Reductin Officer at Harlw Plice, said: "Always be aware f yur surrundings. Befre yu use an ATM, check fr suspicius peple hanging arund nearby.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
"Wait until they have gne r find anther machine. If smene tries t distract yu at the ATM, ignre them until yu have gt yur card and cash. Withut lking, tell them in a lud vice t wait. That way passers by might ntice that smething unusual is happening.
"Thse using utside ATMs seem t be the favurite targets, but incidents have als ccurred in lbbies.
"Remember, cash-back at a supermarket can be an alternative t using ATMs."
Descriptins f the ffenders have ranged frm yung white males t yung Asian males.