Thief was traced because he used a hire van
A THIEF who used a hire van to steal more than �300 worth of scrapped batteries was easily traced when inquiries were made with the hire company, magistrates were told.
Shane Gaskin, 18, admitted stealing three industrial batteries from Dimmocks Cote Quarry at Wicken; and stealing three car batteries from a garage in Hitchin.
Prosecuting at Ely courthouse, Marti Blair said a van was seen arriving at the Wicken site, and CCTV footage showed two men stealing three batteries worth �30.
A second theft, at an Audi garage in Hitchin, came to light during investigations. A van from the same hire company had been used.
Mitigating, Sandeep Kainth said the van had been hired by the other man involved in the theft.
“My client was invited to attend, and would have received a percentage of the what ever the batteries had been sold for,” he said. “All the batteries were scrap, they were not new and not resaleable.”
Gaskin. of Blackwell Site, Kings Hedges, Cambridge, was fined �80 and ordered to pay �100 compensation, �40 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
Magistrates were told that the other man involved had been cautioned by police.