Thief was traced because he used a hire van
A THIEF who used a hire van to steal more than �300 worth of scrapped batteries was easily traced when inquiries were made with the hire company, magistrates were told.
Shane Gaskin, 18, admitted stealing three industrial batteries from Dimmocks Cote Quarry at Wicken; and stealing three car batteries from a garage in Hitchin.
Prosecuting at Ely courthouse, Marti Blair said a van was seen arriving at the Wicken site, and CCTV footage showed two men stealing three batteries worth �30.
A second theft, at an Audi garage in Hitchin, came to light during investigations. A van from the same hire company had been used.
Mitigating, Sandeep Kainth said the van had been hired by the other man involved in the theft.
You may also want to watch:
“My client was invited to attend, and would have received a percentage of the what ever the batteries had been sold for,” he said. “All the batteries were scrap, they were not new and not resaleable.”
Gaskin. of Blackwell Site, Kings Hedges, Cambridge, was fined �80 and ordered to pay �100 compensation, �40 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 3 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 4 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 5 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 6 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 7 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 8 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
- 9 Book tickets for brewery’s summer jazz party
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
Magistrates were told that the other man involved had been cautioned by police.