Thief was traced because he used a hire van
A THIEF who used a hire van to steal more than �300 worth of scrapped batteries was easily traced when inquiries were made with the hire company, magistrates were told.
Shane Gaskin, 18, admitted stealing three industrial batteries from Dimmocks Cote Quarry at Wicken; and stealing three car batteries from a garage in Hitchin.
Prosecuting at Ely courthouse, Marti Blair said a van was seen arriving at the Wicken site, and CCTV footage showed two men stealing three batteries worth �30.
A second theft, at an Audi garage in Hitchin, came to light during investigations. A van from the same hire company had been used.
Mitigating, Sandeep Kainth said the van had been hired by the other man involved in the theft.
“My client was invited to attend, and would have received a percentage of the what ever the batteries had been sold for,” he said. “All the batteries were scrap, they were not new and not resaleable.”
Gaskin. of Blackwell Site, Kings Hedges, Cambridge, was fined �80 and ordered to pay �100 compensation, �40 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 8 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 9 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 10 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
Magistrates were told that the other man involved had been cautioned by police.