Thief was traced because he used a hire van
A THIEF who used a hire van to steal more than �300 worth of scrapped batteries was easily traced when inquiries were made with the hire company, magistrates were told.
Shane Gaskin, 18, admitted stealing three industrial batteries from Dimmocks Cote Quarry at Wicken; and stealing three car batteries from a garage in Hitchin.
Prosecuting at Ely courthouse, Marti Blair said a van was seen arriving at the Wicken site, and CCTV footage showed two men stealing three batteries worth �30.
A second theft, at an Audi garage in Hitchin, came to light during investigations. A van from the same hire company had been used.
Mitigating, Sandeep Kainth said the van had been hired by the other man involved in the theft.
You may also want to watch:
“My client was invited to attend, and would have received a percentage of the what ever the batteries had been sold for,” he said. “All the batteries were scrap, they were not new and not resaleable.”
Gaskin. of Blackwell Site, Kings Hedges, Cambridge, was fined �80 and ordered to pay �100 compensation, �40 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
Magistrates were told that the other man involved had been cautioned by police.