They’re off -dawn start for our intrepid cyclists as they set off from Ely on gruelling 300 mile charity cycle ride
- Credit: Archant
A group of cyclists will be pedalling their hearts out today and tomorrow as they take on their biggest challenge yet - a 300 mile octagonal shaped bike ride over two days.
The bikers have been in training for months to raise money for Addenbrookes Charitable Trust (ACT) and youcanbiketoo.
Two of the team are attempting the challenge on a tandem.
Members of the Octagon Cycling Club are pedalling from Ely, taking in Letchworth, Aylesbury, Chipping Norton, Birmingham, Loughborough, Grantham and Spalding, and back to Ely.
They set off from the Cathedral at 6am today and aim to return by 6pm on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Octagon Cycling Club, well known for fundraising, as well as eating cake on their training rides, had set themselves a target of raising £10,000 and have already reached nearly £8,000.
Robin Jones, founding member and rear half of the tandem duo, said: “We have been training most weekends plus mid week rides and spinning classes for over five months.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
“We did some numbers and realised that as a group we have covered 35,500 miles in 2,600 hours.
“That’s 15 and a half weeks in the saddle! If that doesn’t deserve handing over some sponsorship money for these great causes I don’t know what does.”
Octagon cycling began about six years ago. They meet at 8am every Saturday and Sunday on Ely Market Place and in summer additional rides are on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Sponsors are Gourmet Brownie, Paradise Swimming Pool, Carter Civils Engineering, Neaves and Neat, Sealy Builders, K Form, Cambridge Econometrics, AMPP Services Ltd, Veeva, Man Construction, Gary Stiddard P&D, Greg Saberton Designs, TNS Scaffolding Ltd, Sherwood Engines, Access Interiors, Ian Smith Kitchens and Bathrooms, David Frear Heating and Plumbing, Stuart’s Mobile Welding Services, Cambridge Flat Roofing, Calico Cottage, Isle of Ely Produce and Horizon Retail Marketing Solutions.