They’re lovin’ it! McDonald’s in Ely is opened - three weeks later than planned
- Credit: Archant
McDonald’s in Ely has opened – three weeks later than originally planned.
The fast-food giant opened its doors at the Ely Leisure Village at 10.30am today (May 17) after failing to launch on April 26 because of a “third party issue”.
The new restaurant boasts indoor and outdoor seating, touch-screen ordering kiosks and has welcomed a workforce of 130, in anticipation of a busy summer.
Deputy mayor of Ely, Councillor Mike Rouse, who was one of the first customers through the door, said: “We’ve waited a long time for this. Why shouldn’t our families have the chance for this rather than going elsewhere?
“We’ve got a destination emerging here – from sport, eventually, seeing a film or having a burger or anything else that’s on offer here. It’s a huge investment.”
You may also want to watch:
The opening of McDonald’s comes five days after the Leisure Village’s new six screen Cineworld complex opened its doors to the public.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k