They cycled from Ely to Torquay and back - Sainsbury’s Sports Relief fund raiser in Ely
- Credit: Archant
Pedal power propelled staff from Ely to Torquay and back when Sainsbury’s held a fund raising Sports Relief weekend at the city store.
A total of 600 miles was pedalled on an exercise bike donated by the Atrium Club in a community spirited fund raiser that brought in more than £2,000.
“Customers were very generous and made donations as they left the store. General assistant, James Verducci, clocked up the most miles over the weekend,” a spokesman said.
All staff at the supermarket were invited to take part in the cycling challenge over the weekend.
There were also a number of smaller events in the lead up to the weekend including a colouring competition, tombola, guess how many sweets in the jar and a quirky way of collecting donations called spend a penny - where customers put loose change into a toilet donated by Travis Perkins.
Staff also took part in a sports day competing against colleagues from other stores across the Cambridgeshire and Norfolk region.
Maggie Oakes made it onto the BBC Sport Relief Programme as part of the Sainsbury’s thank you moment.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
As well as the fund raising activities they also sold the official Sport Relief merchandise which included badges, wrist bands, t-shirts and a tote bag designed specially for the occasion by Bella Freud.
The final fund raising total will be announced in early April. Customers can still donate at any Sainsbury’s store.