The Queen Set To Visit Ely
UNION jacks and bright posies will abound in Ely on Thursday to welcome the Queen on an official visit to the city. Her Majesty will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh on a trip to Ely Cathedral to attend the 900th anniversary celebrations of the Ely
UNION jacks and bright posies will abound in Ely on Thursday to welcome the Queen on an official visit to the city.
Her Majesty will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh on a trip to Ely Cathedral to attend the 900th anniversary celebrations of the Ely Diocese.
The Royal Party will arrive by train at Ely Railway Station in the morning and continue by car to Ely Cathedral, where the Queen and Duke will meet with church dignitaries and the Mayor of Ely before attend a brief service in honour of the cathedral's anniversary.
The Diocese's 900th anniversary celebrations kicked off in January with a special sermon delivered by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams and the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell.
After their visit to the cathedral, the royal couple will then drive to King's College, Cambridge to attend the 800th anniversary celebrations of the University of Cambridge.
The Queen and Duke will join the Chancellor of the University for lunch at King's College before continuing to the Senate House, for a special ceremony.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
In the afternoon The Queen will visit Marshall Aerospace at Marshall Airport Cambridge, which is celebrating its centenary.