The Fens beautifully captured in BBC documentary ‘A Wild Year’
- Credit: BBC iPlayer
Stunning views of the Fens, the way of life and its stunning nature and wildlife have been captured in a BBC documentary now available on iPlayer.
The series ‘A Wild Year’ offers an insight into three iconic regions of the British country, and its most recent episode features the Fens.
With wildlife, the episode follows the arrival of Whooper swans which are fleeing the frozen Arctic in winter.
Documentary makers have also captured boxing hares, devious cuckoos, and rare cranes rearing their chicks in Spring.
The episode also covers farming in the region and the crops they select to grow in the region’s fertile soil.
Sunflowers which are grown to produce seeds for bird seed and huge orange pumpkins which are harvested each autumn ready for Halloween.
You may also want to watch:
As well as day-to-day life, festivals and other celebratory occasions are also featured.
The episode’s introduction said: “Hidden away in the most easterly part of the British Isles, lie the Fens of East Anglia.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“These ancient wetlands are home to the greatest diversity of wildlife anywhere in Britain.
“The constantly shifting balance between water and land each season gives rhythm to life here.”
Watch ‘A Wild Year Born - The Fens’ on BBC iPlayer.
Its episode about The Pembrokeshire Coast is also available. The final episode about the North Yorkshire Moors is due to be aired on Friday (July 17).