The EU Referendum is on the agenda at G’s Fresh during visit from MP Elizabeth Truss
- Credit: Archant
The EU Referendum was the topic of discussion at Ely business G’s Fresh when SW Norfolk MP, Elizabeth Truss stopped by for a visit.
Secretary of State Ms Trust was joined by member of the European Parliament, Vicky Ford at G’s Barway site on Wednesday June 15, and the pair were quizzed by over 120 staff and suppliers on their views on the referendum, which is to take place on Thursday June 23.
Questions at the event ranged from trade deals to ‘what will be the future for G’s if Brexit happens?’
Chairman of G’s, John Shropshire, said: “I am delighted that staff had the opportunity to speak to the Secretary of State Elizabeth Truss and MEP Vicky Ford.”
Ms Truss said: “EU membership gives British food and drink producers like G’s unfettered access to a single market of over 500 million people. Exports to the EU from the UK’s food and drink industry made £11 billion for the British economy last year. If the UK were to leave the EU, exporters would face crippling tariffs to sell their goods to Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
G’s is one of Europe’s largest producers of salads, farming in excess of 4,000 hectares of land across East Anglia and employing 6,000 people.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound