Teresa Ely fights for Fairtrade justice with Traidcraft Open House events offering free tea, coffee and cakes
- Credit: Archant
An Ely woman is preparing to hold a number of open house events as part of her longstanding voluntary work as a Traidcraft Fair Trader.
Teresa Ely, who says “fair trading conditions are at the heart of enabling people to remain in their communities and sustain their families without having to beg or travel for work,” has been involved with the campaign for nearly 32 years.
“I have visited producers in Ghana and Bangladesh,” she added.
“I give talks about Traidcraft, take stalls to many events, and campaign for justice in trade.”
As part of its autumn Show You Care campaign, Traidcraft is highlighting the stories of those in poverty across the developing world.
You may also want to watch:
Bongi, a 24-year-old candle maker from Swaizland - an area in Africa which has the world’s highest HIV infection rate – is one such case.
His wages are used to support himself, his mother, grandmother and his brothers and sisters.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
He said: “One candle you buy, someone gets to smile.
“A single candle, a single craft, anything that’s made, someone who made that actually made it with his heart”, Bongi added.
To show her continued support for Bongi and others who are supported by Traidcraft, Teresa will be holding a Traidcraft Open House at her home, 30a Barton Road, this Friday and Saturday from 10am to 5pm.
There will be free tea, coffee and cake available all day, as well as the chance to view, order and buy Traidcraft goods.
She will also be holding another Open House on Friday 20 and Saturday 21 November.