Tennis star Tim Henman opens new adiZone in Soham
BRITISH tennis star Tim Henman was on hand to open Soham’s new adiZone sports facility on Friday.
Hundreds of people gathered at Kingfisher Drive to watch the former British number one officially open the new park, unveiling a plaque before putting some of the new equipment through its paces.
The 36-year-old also stopped to sign dozens of autographs and spent time giving the town’s youngsters tips on their tennis.
“I think the AdiZone is a fantastic facility,” said Henman. “There are lots of different sports and activities to try and I
hope all the boys and girls will take the opportunity to make use of and enjoy it.
You may also want to watch:
“There is massive excitement in the lead up to the 2012 Olympics and I think one of the most important things about it will be the legacy it leaves in places like Soham.
“We are very lucky that we have facilities like the AdiZone and I’m sure it will continue to be well used for many years to come.”
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Man named following fatal collision
- 6 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 7 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 8 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 9 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections
The adiZone, designed and developed by sportswear firm Adidas, is a multisport area, which has activities including an outdoor gym, a tennis wall, a basketball court, a football goal, a performance area and a climbing wall.
The sports area in Soham is the sixth adiZone to open in the East of England and is the second in East Cambridgeshire after the opening of the Littleport facility last year.
Chairman of Soham Town Council, Anne Tuite, said: “Today is a great day for Soham as we celebrate our very own AdiZone. Soham Town Council has played a leading role in developing this project and we hope it will provide an opportunity for the community and especially our youngsters.”