Teenager Who Broke His Back After Crash Is Fined
A TEENAGER driver broke his back when he crashed his car into a ditch just a week after passing his test. And his 14-year-old female passenger also suffered serious injuries, including a fractured vertebra, a broken pelvis, a broken nose and a broken wris
A TEENAGER driver broke his back when he crashed his car into a ditch just a week after passing his test.
And his 14-year-old female passenger also suffered serious injuries, including a fractured vertebra, a broken pelvis, a broken nose and a broken wrist.
At Ely youth court on Thursday, the 17-year-old driver from Haddenham admitted driving without due care and attention along Pools Road at Grunty Fen on January 11.
"The driver had tried to overtake his friend in a car in front of him, that car was driven by another young boy" said prosecutor Francesca Devine. "The car clipped the kerb and went into a ditch."
You may also want to watch:
Sending his guilty plea into the court by letter, the teenager said: "I feel inexperience played a part in the accident. I had only passed my test the week before."
Apologising for any inconvenience caused, the youngster said he was suffering from a fractured spine, and his parents were supporting him.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
He was fined £200 with £35 costs and a £15 surcharge. Eight points were endorsed on his licence.