Takeaway plans could be set for refusal
PLANS to convert a village butchers shop into a new takeaway looked to have hit the skids after council officials recommended the plans for refusal
The Hills, Harnwell and Rutterford butchers first opened in premises on the corner of The Row 39 years ago, when Sidney Hills and his son-in-law Tony Harnwell went into partnership.
Andy Rutterford joined them soon afterwards, and the business moved to a purpose built property in the High Street about 31 years ago.
However, tough trading conditions and a need for substantial new investment led Mr Rutterford to close the shop last year.
A few months later, plans were submitted to the district council to transform the vacated shop into a kebab house and takeaway, complete with large carbon filter extractor fan.
You may also want to watch:
Residents have taken a dim view of the plans however, with dozens of letters of objection mailed to East Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning department.
High Street residents Rowan Megginson and Stephen Pollard told planners: “Parking in front of the property is very difficult already in the evenings, with another takeaway it is going to be chaotic.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
“I don’t like the prospect of more lights and noise in the evenings and lots of cars coming and going.”
Another High Street resident Alex Nairn, said: “The opening of yet another fast food outlet within close proximity to the two existing premises is likely to lead to a concentration of customers which will generate significantly more noise and nuisance and potential anti-social behaviour.”
Sutton Parish Council also added its voice to the objections, requested the plans be refused.
On Wednesday, councillors on the Planning Committee were expected to refuse the plans after council officers said the takeaway would “result in serious harm to the residential amenities of adjoining occupiers.”
Planning officials also said that the excess traffic generated by the new shop and the height of the extractor fan would also have a detrimental effect on the village.
To find out the result of the meeting, visit www.elystandard.co.uk.