Sutton Walkers Hand Over Funds From Early Morning Hike
HIKERS who took part in an early-morning sponsored walk around Sutton for Cancer Research UK raised more than £3,000 for the charity. Around 20 friends and family of Debbie Smith, who has cancer, trained together and started their 13-mile hike around the
HIKERS who took part in an early-morning sponsored walk around Sutton for Cancer Research UK raised more than £3,000 for the charity.
Around 20 friends and family of Debbie Smith, who has cancer, trained together and started their 13-mile hike around the village at dawn on May 17.
But despite her help with organising the event, which is now in its second year, Debbie was too ill to take part in the walk herself.
"It is an amazing amount of money," said Debbie, of Mepal.
You may also want to watch:
"We managed to raise the same amount two years running which is a huge achievement."
She said that the current total from donations and sponsorship was £3,090.85 but gift aid is to be added for the final figure.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Debbie was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and launched the local Dawnwalk to raise money for cancer research.
After winning her battle with breast cancer, she was then diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year.
"It has been tough few years and this money will go towards research into the disease," Debbie added.
"Nowadays, cancer affects everyone and it's fantastic that all these people want to help this cause.
"Everyone also has a lot of fun taking part in the walking and training."
Training for next year's walk begins Sunday, September 7. The group meet outside the fire station in Sutton at 9.30am.
For more information, contact Debbie on 01353 778665.
Pic cap: Photo: HELEN DRAKE. 4373HD0708. Walkers presenting a cheque for £3,090.85 to Cancer Research UK.