Sutton student crowned college apprentice of the year
- Credit: Archant
A construction student from Sutton is celebrating after being named an apprentice of the year at a prestigious college ceremony.
Gary Rosser picked up the award in recognition of “outstanding construction crafts” at West Suffolk College’s Celebration of Achievement awards on Monday night.
Gary, who served his apprenticeship with his family company Rossers Glass and Glazing, said he was delighted with the award.
“My father is a glazer and I have always wanted to follow in his footsteps,” he said.
“It is a dream to do something you love for a living and West Suffolk College has given me the opportunity to do that.
“I wanted to get more training and qualifications but sadly there are not many colleges that do glazing and window fitting courses.
“When I heard West Suffolk did, I jumped at the chance and the course has been amazing.”
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 7 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 8 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 9 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 10 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
Gary, 24, said he would highly recommend an apprenticeship after combining work with studying in the college’s fenestration installation course.
Course tutor Gary Robertson said: “Gary has been an outstanding apprentice, providing practical and theory work to an extremely high level.
“His assignment work has been well detailed which has shown his range in knowledge. The quality of this is the best that we’ve ever seen.”
More than 300 people attended the awards ceremony at St Edmundsbury Cathedral in Bury St Edmunds.