Sutton student crowned college apprentice of the year
- Credit: Archant
A construction student from Sutton is celebrating after being named an apprentice of the year at a prestigious college ceremony.
Gary Rosser picked up the award in recognition of “outstanding construction crafts” at West Suffolk College’s Celebration of Achievement awards on Monday night.
Gary, who served his apprenticeship with his family company Rossers Glass and Glazing, said he was delighted with the award.
“My father is a glazer and I have always wanted to follow in his footsteps,” he said.
“It is a dream to do something you love for a living and West Suffolk College has given me the opportunity to do that.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to get more training and qualifications but sadly there are not many colleges that do glazing and window fitting courses.
“When I heard West Suffolk did, I jumped at the chance and the course has been amazing.”
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Gary, 24, said he would highly recommend an apprenticeship after combining work with studying in the college’s fenestration installation course.
Course tutor Gary Robertson said: “Gary has been an outstanding apprentice, providing practical and theory work to an extremely high level.
“His assignment work has been well detailed which has shown his range in knowledge. The quality of this is the best that we’ve ever seen.”
More than 300 people attended the awards ceremony at St Edmundsbury Cathedral in Bury St Edmunds.