Sutton’s answer to the capital’s Moonwalk sees 51 people pace 13 miles for Breast Cancer Research
- Credit: Archant
The biggest turn out in 10 years became the 2016 Best Boob Forward dawn walk which looks set to have raised hundreds for breast cancer research.
The 13 mile walk in the fens surrounding Sutton saw 51 people join forces to raise money and awareness for breast cancer care.
Organiser Liz Thrussell created the event in 2007 after being diagnosed with breast cancer and failing to get a place in the capital’s famous Moonwalk.
She said: “There were two of us that tried to get in to the Moonwalk but we couldn’t go as a team so we decided to have our own walk in the village.
“It’s grown every year, this is the most walkers, in part because it was our 10th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
“Since our first walk we have lost a few friends along the way and our walk this year is to celebrate and remember them.
“All of the money that we raise is ring fenced for breast cancer research. Sadly this is a cancer that has touched many of our lives.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
The annual half marathon walk has raised more than £27,000 in a decade, with Gift Aid, and it is hoped this year’s fund raising will will tip thhe total over the top of £30,000.
The walking crew usually get back to the Pavilion, Sutton, the starting point, around 9.30am and celebrate the end with a breakfast shared with family, friends and supporters.
To donate visit www.justgiving.com/BestBoobForward-2016.