Suspected arson at farm in Pymoor
A BARN was left in ruins after a suspected arson attack in Pymoor on Monday.
Crews from Ely and Littleport were called shortly before 2am to Straight Furlong, just off Main Street, following reports that a barn was on fire.
When crews arrived at the scene they immediately called for assistance and a second crew from Ely and a crew from Sutton arrived shortly after.
A second barn on the site, which housed large quantities of fertilizer, had to be cleared by the landowner using a teleporter in case the fire spread.
Fire-fighters battled for almost three hours to get the blaze under control, with the barn, which measured 600sq m, badly damaged.
An inspection is due to take place again on Monday to determine whether the site is safe, with investigations into the cause of the fire due to start in earnest.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the early indications suggested that the fire had been started deliberately.
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 3 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
- 6 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 7 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons
- 8 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 9 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 10 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
It is the second suspected arson attack on agricultural property in the area in recent months, with more than 100,000 bales of straw set alight in Mepal and Witcham in Decmeber.