Suspected arson at farm in Pymoor
A BARN was left in ruins after a suspected arson attack in Pymoor on Monday.
Crews from Ely and Littleport were called shortly before 2am to Straight Furlong, just off Main Street, following reports that a barn was on fire.
When crews arrived at the scene they immediately called for assistance and a second crew from Ely and a crew from Sutton arrived shortly after.
A second barn on the site, which housed large quantities of fertilizer, had to be cleared by the landowner using a teleporter in case the fire spread.
Fire-fighters battled for almost three hours to get the blaze under control, with the barn, which measured 600sq m, badly damaged.
You may also want to watch:
An inspection is due to take place again on Monday to determine whether the site is safe, with investigations into the cause of the fire due to start in earnest.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the early indications suggested that the fire had been started deliberately.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 4 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
It is the second suspected arson attack on agricultural property in the area in recent months, with more than 100,000 bales of straw set alight in Mepal and Witcham in Decmeber.