Suspected arson at farm in Pymoor
A BARN was left in ruins after a suspected arson attack in Pymoor on Monday.
Crews from Ely and Littleport were called shortly before 2am to Straight Furlong, just off Main Street, following reports that a barn was on fire.
When crews arrived at the scene they immediately called for assistance and a second crew from Ely and a crew from Sutton arrived shortly after.
A second barn on the site, which housed large quantities of fertilizer, had to be cleared by the landowner using a teleporter in case the fire spread.
Fire-fighters battled for almost three hours to get the blaze under control, with the barn, which measured 600sq m, badly damaged.
You may also want to watch:
An inspection is due to take place again on Monday to determine whether the site is safe, with investigations into the cause of the fire due to start in earnest.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the early indications suggested that the fire had been started deliberately.
- 1 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 9 Residents reminisce as they dance, drink and get tattoos
- 10 Watch as police smash their way into suspected drug dealer’s flat
It is the second suspected arson attack on agricultural property in the area in recent months, with more than 100,000 bales of straw set alight in Mepal and Witcham in Decmeber.