Ely surgery begins national flu vaccination programme as part of government rollout
- Credit: Archant
An Ely surgery has vaccinated over 2,000 patients as part of a government bid to increase the number of people eligible for an NHS flu vaccination.
St Mary’s Surgery has completed 2,465 vaccinations in the first two weeks of this year’s seasonal flu campaign, which will be a phased rollout across the country.
Due to Covid-19, the government wants more people to be eligible for a vaccination, such as those aged over 65 or in high risk groups.
For the first time, people aged between 50-64 who are healthy will also be invited for a free flu jab.
Dr Katrina Young, senior GP at St Mary’s Surgery, said: “I strongly encourage everyone who is eligible for a free NHS flu jab to get vaccinated and help protect themselves, their family and the NHS.
You may also want to watch:
“Those invited in the first phase are the over 65s and those in high risks groups – both adults and children.
“Once this first phase is completed, we will begin to invite others. This will include all those eligible from the 50-64 age group.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Patients will be screened on entry and social distancing rules will be followed, while a one-way route through the surgery is in operation.
Those that have signed up to receive text messages will be contacted when they are due their flu jab, and then will be required to contact the surgery to book their appointment date and time.
The next clinics at St Mary’s Surgery are planned for October 3, October 17 and November 7. For more information, visit http://www.stmarysely.nhs.uk/.