Supermarket staff in search for good causes
STAFF at an Ely supermarket are on the lookout for good causes in the town’s and villages across the district as part of a new community volunteering scheme.
Waitrose is calling on people to come forward with any projects, ideas or initiatives that need a helping hand so staff can don their gloves and work clothes and get involved.
All manner of projects will be considered, including sporting, care, youth, decorating and animal, and all staff ask is that the cause, project or club is based in East Cambridgeshire.
Waitrose Ely’s Kevin Woolstenholmes, said: “If this new scheme is anything like our Community Matters scheme I’m sure we will get a fantastic response and all projects will certainly be considered.
“All of our entries will be put to partners who will decide which projects we will be able to help.”
You may also want to watch:
The staff have more than a hundred manpower hours to ‘spend’ and projects can involve just a single member or require some hard graft from a whole team.
Ely’s branch manager Ashley Brood, said: “We understand that local projects and charities are struggling for the funding that they need and used to get and the partner volunteering scheme is about getting involved in the community in a more open and practical way.”
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
To be considered for entry, a written submission outlining the nature of the project, where it will take place and how many hours will be required should be sent to Mr Woolstenholmes at Waitrose, Bray’s Lane, Ely CB7 4QJ.
The deadline for entries is August 10, after which staff will decide which projects have been selected.