Supermarket staff in search for good causes
STAFF at an Ely supermarket are on the lookout for good causes in the town’s and villages across the district as part of a new community volunteering scheme.
Waitrose is calling on people to come forward with any projects, ideas or initiatives that need a helping hand so staff can don their gloves and work clothes and get involved.
All manner of projects will be considered, including sporting, care, youth, decorating and animal, and all staff ask is that the cause, project or club is based in East Cambridgeshire.
Waitrose Ely’s Kevin Woolstenholmes, said: “If this new scheme is anything like our Community Matters scheme I’m sure we will get a fantastic response and all projects will certainly be considered.
“All of our entries will be put to partners who will decide which projects we will be able to help.”
You may also want to watch:
The staff have more than a hundred manpower hours to ‘spend’ and projects can involve just a single member or require some hard graft from a whole team.
Ely’s branch manager Ashley Brood, said: “We understand that local projects and charities are struggling for the funding that they need and used to get and the partner volunteering scheme is about getting involved in the community in a more open and practical way.”
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections
To be considered for entry, a written submission outlining the nature of the project, where it will take place and how many hours will be required should be sent to Mr Woolstenholmes at Waitrose, Bray’s Lane, Ely CB7 4QJ.
The deadline for entries is August 10, after which staff will decide which projects have been selected.