Supermarket’s staff awards are cancelled after categories including Rear of the Year are deemed offensive
- Credit: Archant
An awards ceremony for staff at an Ely supermarket has been cancelled in light of complaints that some of the categories were offensive.
Employees at the Sainsbury’s superstore, in Lisle Lane, were asked to nominate colleagues for a series of awards, including Rear of the Year, Sexiest Male and Most Vain, on a ballot slip.
Other categories on the ballot included Pure Banter, Hard Grafter and Longest Tea Breaker.
The awards were organised by staff and had been due to take place at the Lighthouse Centre, in Ely, later this month.
But the Oscar-themed event was pulled after complaints were received from relatives of some staff members.
You may also want to watch:
On Twitter, one user said: “Does this leave a bad taste in your mouth too, or have I lost my sense of humour?”
A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said the event had been cancelled “the moment colleagues realised that offence had been caused.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
The spokesman added that they had “spoken to the store about their events programme going forward”.