Supermarket launches packed festive fund-raising schedule
- Credit: Archant
Sainsbury’s in Ely kicked off their ‘Christmas in the community’ fund-raising drive in store at the weekend with help from the Lisa Barnes Memorial Fund.
The charity, which held a stall selling handmade crafts and raffle tickets, raised £489.90 and on Sunday shoppers were treated to a performance by the City of Ely Military Band.
The store’s festive fund-raising activities will continue in the lead up to Christmas with a weekend of performances from a variety of local bands, choirs and music groups on Saturday and Sunday December 13-14.
Included on the bill are Manea Silver Band, Salvation Army Cottenham and Viva Arts and Community Group, of Soham.
Branching Out, the store’s local charity partner, will be offering shoppers help with bag-packing from December 18-19, and Ely and District Scouts will be in store on December 20-21 fund-raising for activities in the New Year.
Store manager, Karen Watts said: “The carol singers and music groups have been fantastic in the past and create such a Christmassy atmosphere in store and we are always grateful of the support from bag-packers during busy periods.”
Princesses Arna and Elsa from Frozen will be making a guest appearance on December 23, from 11am-1pm, and children will be able to have their photographs taken with the Disney duo.
- 1 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 2 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 9 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 10 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
The event will be rounded off with face painting by Jeanette from Funtasy Faces who will be offering her services on Monday, December 22, and Christmas Eve.