Supermarket launches packed festive fund-raising schedule
- Credit: Archant
Sainsbury’s in Ely kicked off their ‘Christmas in the community’ fund-raising drive in store at the weekend with help from the Lisa Barnes Memorial Fund.
The charity, which held a stall selling handmade crafts and raffle tickets, raised £489.90 and on Sunday shoppers were treated to a performance by the City of Ely Military Band.
The store’s festive fund-raising activities will continue in the lead up to Christmas with a weekend of performances from a variety of local bands, choirs and music groups on Saturday and Sunday December 13-14.
Included on the bill are Manea Silver Band, Salvation Army Cottenham and Viva Arts and Community Group, of Soham.
Branching Out, the store’s local charity partner, will be offering shoppers help with bag-packing from December 18-19, and Ely and District Scouts will be in store on December 20-21 fund-raising for activities in the New Year.
Store manager, Karen Watts said: “The carol singers and music groups have been fantastic in the past and create such a Christmassy atmosphere in store and we are always grateful of the support from bag-packers during busy periods.”
Princesses Arna and Elsa from Frozen will be making a guest appearance on December 23, from 11am-1pm, and children will be able to have their photographs taken with the Disney duo.
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
The event will be rounded off with face painting by Jeanette from Funtasy Faces who will be offering her services on Monday, December 22, and Christmas Eve.