Super Steve leads the way
A GOOD field of 15 riders gave their all during Ely and District Cycling Club s Tuesday evening time trial last week. Despite not riding regularly during the past year, James Robson managed 26:01 and showed that he could challenge the top finishers. Steve
A GOOD field of 15 riders gave their all during Ely and District Cycling Club's Tuesday evening time trial last week.
Despite not riding regularly during the past year, James Robson managed 26:01 and showed that he could challenge the top finishers.
Steve Presland again showed he is the man to beat this season, even managing to grab 16 seconds from whirlwind Alan Newark with an immense effort to finish in 23:01.
Geoff Brewster was slightly off the pace, finishing a minute down on Presland but still turning on the style for a tidy 24:01. Tom Sykes charged home in an excellent 24:10 while yet another fast rider, Colin Whitechurch, clocked a well-earned 24:26.
You may also want to watch:
There were also fine performances from Andy Stephen (26:12), Andrew Wills (27:17) and an excellent ride from Celia Whitechurch, who recorded 29:13.
Timekeepers Brian Cooper, Roy Benstead and Martin Holland took pleasure in recording one of the most spirited rides of the evening as 14-year-old Ben Stephen powered back to Sutton for a 31:23.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
The next event will be on Tuesday for the 10-mile Sutton-Ely-Sutton course. Riders should meet 15 minutes before the official start time of 7.30pm at the Elean Industrial Estate, Sutton.
Cyclists of all experience levels and spectators are welcome. For more information, take a look at www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Results: 1 Steve Presland 23.01, 2 Alan Newark 23.17, 3 Geoff Brewster 24.01,4 Tom Sykes 24.10, 5 Colin Whitechurch 24.26, 6 Phillip Peacock 24.29, 7 James Robson 26.01, 8 Andy Stephen 26.12, 9 Andrew Wills 27.17, 10 Celia Whitechurch 29.13, 11 John Jermy 29.14, 12 Ray Legg 29.16, 13 Eddie Green 30.06, 14 Ray Jolly 31.00, 15 Ben Stephen 31.23.