Regional swimmers celebrate successful move to the Hive leisure centre, Ely
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely Swimming club is celebrating its first competition success following its move to the Hive leisure centre.
Swimmers who had impressively qualified for the 2018 Swim England East Region Long Course Championships swam over two weekends.
Those 15 years and over swimming at the UEA Sportspark Norwich followed by those 14 years and below competing over the bank holiday weekend of 26-28 May at Luton Sports Village took part.
Iona Trainer and Gina Brewis, both 15, qualified for an impressive 9 and 2 events respectively.
Iona competed in 50 and 100m freestyle, 50m, 100m and 200m breaststroke, 50 backstroke, 50m and 100m butterfly, and 200m individual medley making the final of the 50m breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile Gina swam in 100m and 200m breaststroke. In Luton, the club’s younger swimmers (pictured) swam competitively, all having qualified for their first regional championships.
Maximilian Veiga swam in 50m backstroke reaching the final, after which he held the 3rd fastest time for an 11 year old for this event in England. He also competed in 50m freestyle and 100m butterfly.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Thomas Alderton, 12, raced in 50m and 100, breaststroke reaching the final in both events, Tia Hill, 12, qualified for 50m backstroke and Daniel Kendall, 12, bravely competed in 50m butterfly, 50m freestyle and 200m butterfly despite illness and had also qualified for 100m butterfly.