Students set for Africa Habitat trip
A TEAM of students and staff from Ely College Sixth Form are busy fund-raising so that they can take part in a home building project in one of the world’s poorest countries.
The team hopes to travel to Malawi for ten days in July 2013 to take part in a project for the charity Habitat for Humanity.
Habitat for Humanity (HFH) champions that right but take practical action by partnering local communities in housing need to find appropriate, permanent, long-term solutions to their housing problems. Since 1976 they have assisted more than 2.5 million people to renovate, repair or build more than 500,000 homes.
The Ely College Sixth Form team will be joining one of these projects and will be living and working alongside the local community to build a house for a family in need. This will be the third HFH project that the sixth form has taken part in, following successful trips to Zambia and Romania.
To participate each team member needs to raise about �2,000 to cover the cost of their trip and to help fund the HFH programme in Malawi. The students will be undertaking a series of fund-raising activities over the next year to raise the money, including quiz nights, an auction of talents, a race night and a college disco.
You may also want to watch:
Their first fund raising venture will be a quiz night in the Sixth Form on Friday, May 25. Tickets are �5 and can be obtained from the college by calling 01353 652818 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
For further information about what is involved in a HFH trip please visit their web-site www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk<http://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/>.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 5 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail