Stub it out for Stoptober. Ely residents urged to quit the habit
- Credit: Archant
People in Ely are being urged to quit smoking in the 28-day stop smoking challenge, Stoptober.
Staff from CAMQUIT are going out into the community to offer information, support, and advice.
Claire Mead, CAMQUIT coordinator, said: “If you are thinking about stopping smoking, the Stoptober challenge is the right one for you. “Thousands of people take part every year and you’re up to five times more likely to succeed in quitting if you get help.
“There are over 300 expert advisors across the county who will support and guide you with quitting.
“These experts based in our clinics and GP practices will also be able to support you with getting treatment medications on prescription which will increase your chances of success.
“The team of advisors are here to help you stop for good and will give you simple steps towards your goal.”
The national ‘ONE YOU’ Stoptober campaign, developed by Public Health England, aims to encourage smokers to quitting for good.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
It is based on research that if you can stop smoking for 28-days, you are five times more likely to be able to stay quit for good.
CAMQUIT, Cambridgeshire County Council’s stop smoking service will be supporting the campaign locally by taking part in activities and providing information stands at public venues.
Activities include specialist advisors visiting sixth form colleges, pharmacies, flu clinics and GP practices.
The Stoptober website provides a wide range of advice and tips on how to achieve a stop smoking goal.
For more information register at www.camquit.nhs.uk or contact the CAMQUIT team on 0800 018 4304.