Stub it out for Stoptober. Ely residents urged to quit the habit
- Credit: Archant
People in Ely are being urged to quit smoking in the 28-day stop smoking challenge, Stoptober.
Staff from CAMQUIT are going out into the community to offer information, support, and advice.
Claire Mead, CAMQUIT coordinator, said: “If you are thinking about stopping smoking, the Stoptober challenge is the right one for you. “Thousands of people take part every year and you’re up to five times more likely to succeed in quitting if you get help.
“There are over 300 expert advisors across the county who will support and guide you with quitting.
“These experts based in our clinics and GP practices will also be able to support you with getting treatment medications on prescription which will increase your chances of success.
You may also want to watch:
“The team of advisors are here to help you stop for good and will give you simple steps towards your goal.”
The national ‘ONE YOU’ Stoptober campaign, developed by Public Health England, aims to encourage smokers to quitting for good.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
It is based on research that if you can stop smoking for 28-days, you are five times more likely to be able to stay quit for good.
CAMQUIT, Cambridgeshire County Council’s stop smoking service will be supporting the campaign locally by taking part in activities and providing information stands at public venues.
Activities include specialist advisors visiting sixth form colleges, pharmacies, flu clinics and GP practices.
The Stoptober website provides a wide range of advice and tips on how to achieve a stop smoking goal.
For more information register at www.camquit.nhs.uk or contact the CAMQUIT team on 0800 018 4304.