Strung out for the Rio Olympics - Littleport businessman sorts the rackets for the tennis team
- Credit: Archant
A Littleport businessman has been chosen to join the official stringing team for the tennis event at this summer’s Rio Olympics.
Mark Goodman, a partner in Top Spin Tennis, has been invited to join the prestigious behind the scenes crew.
Mark, along with his wife Karen, owns and runs their own specialist racket sports business with two pro-shops in Norwich, two in Cambridge and one in Huntingdon.
Mark said: “It is a great honour to be invited to string for the world’s greatest players during the Olympics.
“I’m delighted about going to Rio to join a small number of other world class stringers at such a prestigious event.
You may also want to watch:
“I was part of the stringing team at the London Olympics in 2012 which was an amazing experience – to be part of it again, four years later in another country, is so exciting!”
In January Mark and Karen travelled to Australia and were part of the Yonex official stringing team for the Australian Open for three weeks. Mark was also stringing at the Yonex All England badminton championships in March.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
More recently, Karen was stringing at French Open in Paris, and at Wimbledon – her 14th consecutive year.
Mark added: “There is probably no one else who can claim to have strung at three Grand Slams and an Olympics in the same year.
“We are seeing a growing interest in stringing amongst our regular customers and they really appreciate the knowledge and experience that we gain around the world.”