Strung out for the Rio Olympics - Littleport businessman sorts the rackets for the tennis team
- Credit: Archant
A Littleport businessman has been chosen to join the official stringing team for the tennis event at this summer’s Rio Olympics.
Mark Goodman, a partner in Top Spin Tennis, has been invited to join the prestigious behind the scenes crew.
Mark, along with his wife Karen, owns and runs their own specialist racket sports business with two pro-shops in Norwich, two in Cambridge and one in Huntingdon.
Mark said: “It is a great honour to be invited to string for the world’s greatest players during the Olympics.
“I’m delighted about going to Rio to join a small number of other world class stringers at such a prestigious event.
“I was part of the stringing team at the London Olympics in 2012 which was an amazing experience – to be part of it again, four years later in another country, is so exciting!”
In January Mark and Karen travelled to Australia and were part of the Yonex official stringing team for the Australian Open for three weeks. Mark was also stringing at the Yonex All England badminton championships in March.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
More recently, Karen was stringing at French Open in Paris, and at Wimbledon – her 14th consecutive year.
Mark added: “There is probably no one else who can claim to have strung at three Grand Slams and an Olympics in the same year.
“We are seeing a growing interest in stringing amongst our regular customers and they really appreciate the knowledge and experience that we gain around the world.”