Striking images show Lakenheath fighter jet spitting flames
- Credit: Matt Smart
A fighter jet was pictured spitting flames after taking off from one of the region's RAF bases.
Striking pictures taken by aviation photographer, Matt Smart, show sparks flying from the rear of the F-15 after it took to the skies from RAF Lakenheath.
The aircraft, which belongs to the 48th Fighter Wing (48 FW), was said to have suffered an issue soon after take-off on Tuesday (July 13) morning.
It subsequently returned to base and landed safely.
Lakenheath has been home to 48 FW since 1960, having already been used by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War as a heavy bomber base.
You may also want to watch:
Today it is the only F-15 wing based in Europe, and carries out missions using the F-15C/D Eagle and the F-15E Strike Eagle.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident