Stretham Santa swapping his sleigh for a mobility scooter this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
A man will dress up as Santa and transform his mobility scooter into a Christams sleigh in aid of charity.
Arthritis sufferer Albert Tumber, 73, of Meadowcroft, Stretham, is taking part in East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) Cambridge Santa Run on Sunday December 15 on his festive mobility scooter.
His custom sleigh will have a Christmas tree, Reindeer head, lights and a stereo in the front basket which will play Christmas songs. Mr Tumber, who has already raised more than £300, hopes his efforts will inspire other people to sign-up to the event and raise funds for EACH, which supports life-threatened children, young people and their families across Cambridgeshire from its hospice in Milton.
He said: “I’m really looking forward to the Santa Run – it’ll be great fun. We’re getting everything together and can’t wait to transform the scooter into my sleigh.
“I hope my efforts will inspire other people to join in the event and raise funds for what is a really important charity.”
The EACH Cambridge Santa Run takes place at 10am on Sunday December 15. Santas can choose to complete a 1.5km or 2.5km route, both of which start and finish at The Grafton and are suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Well behaved pet dogs on leads are also welcome to take part. You walk, jog or run- it’s up to you.
- 1 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 2 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 3 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 4 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 5 Poet, Jo, shares poem in memory of sister to mark World Cancer Day
- 6 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 9 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 10 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
Karen Newton, EACH fundraiser, said: “We’re really excited about this year’s event in Cambridge and delighted that Albert has signed-up – he’s an inspiration.”
Adult entry is £10 and includes a Santa suit or £8 without a suit, while entry for those aged 13 and under is £5 and includes a Santa hat.
Participants are encouraged to raise sponsorship.
To enter visit www.each.org.uk/santaruns or call 01223 205180.
To sponsor Albert visit www.each.org.uk/donate and add “Albert Tumber Cambridge Santa Run” in the “reason for donating” box.