Stretham home plans given the go-ahead despite villagers' objections
PUBLISHED: 16:39 08 November 2012
CONTENTIOUS plans to build eight new affordable homes in Stretham have been approved by councillors at East Cambridgeshire District Council despite determined opposition from within the village.
Mr AJ Lee re-applied to build eight semi-detached homes at the rear of 7B Wilburton Road even though similar plans submitted last year were met with strident opposition for villagers.
Residents and Stretham Parish Council both took a dim view of the re-submitted plans saying they would block views of the village’s historic centre and were inappropriate for new homes.
David Roth, of High Street, told council planners: “The access to the site is on Wilburton Road, which at times is extremely busy, making it potentially hazardous to other road users as vehicles stop to enter the site or seek to join Wilburton Road.
“Wilburton Road is already very busy during rush hour due to congestion on the nearby roundabout and the development proposes to add further congestion in this narrow area.”
Sid and Carol Cullum, also of Wilburton Road, added: “We find it totally unacceptable that the applicant and/or his agents have failed to correct the serious errors that they were made aware of in January 2012.”
Despite their concerns however, councillors sitting on the district council’s planning committee on Wednesday (November 7) voted to approve the plans.
In their submission, the applicants said: “The fact remains that this site fulfils at relevant policy criteria, is ready for development and no other site has come forward so it is first past the post.”