Stretham affordable homes plan met with objections
PLANS to build eight new affordable homes in Stretham have been referred to East Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning committee following a series of objections from within the village.
Mr AJ Lee is seeking approval to build eight semi-detached homes at the rear of 7 Wilburton Road after similar plans submitted last year were met with strident opposition for villagers.
Residents and Stretham Parish Council said the previous plans would block views of the village’s historic centre and were inappropriate for new homes, and they were subsequently withdrawn in February.
Some five months later, and following extensive public consultation, the plans were redrawn in a bid to get approval from council planners.
In their submission, the applicants said: “The fact remains that this site fulfils at relevant policy criteria, is ready for development and no other site has come forward so it is first past the post.”
You may also want to watch:
According to the plans, the homes will be in keeping with the character of homes in the village and will use “traditional spans, roof pitches and materials”.
Villagers have reacted angrily however, voicing their concern to the authority.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest
Mr and Mrs Parsons, of Wilburton Road, told planners: “The amount of noise and general upheaval we would experience from having so much traffic travelling past our house, down such a small access road, has to be considered.”
Sid and Carol Cullum, also of Wilburton Road, added: “We find it totally unacceptable that the applicant and/or his agents have failed to correct the serious errors that they were made aware of in January 2012.”
The planning committee will discuss the application on Wednesday.