Stretham affordable homes plan met with objections
PLANS to build eight new affordable homes in Stretham have been referred to East Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning committee following a series of objections from within the village.
Mr AJ Lee is seeking approval to build eight semi-detached homes at the rear of 7 Wilburton Road after similar plans submitted last year were met with strident opposition for villagers.
Residents and Stretham Parish Council said the previous plans would block views of the village’s historic centre and were inappropriate for new homes, and they were subsequently withdrawn in February.
Some five months later, and following extensive public consultation, the plans were redrawn in a bid to get approval from council planners.
In their submission, the applicants said: “The fact remains that this site fulfils at relevant policy criteria, is ready for development and no other site has come forward so it is first past the post.”
You may also want to watch:
According to the plans, the homes will be in keeping with the character of homes in the village and will use “traditional spans, roof pitches and materials”.
Villagers have reacted angrily however, voicing their concern to the authority.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
Mr and Mrs Parsons, of Wilburton Road, told planners: “The amount of noise and general upheaval we would experience from having so much traffic travelling past our house, down such a small access road, has to be considered.”
Sid and Carol Cullum, also of Wilburton Road, added: “We find it totally unacceptable that the applicant and/or his agents have failed to correct the serious errors that they were made aware of in January 2012.”
The planning committee will discuss the application on Wednesday.