Stretham affordable homes plan met with objections
PLANS to build eight new affordable homes in Stretham have been referred to East Cambridgeshire District Council’s planning committee following a series of objections from within the village.
Mr AJ Lee is seeking approval to build eight semi-detached homes at the rear of 7 Wilburton Road after similar plans submitted last year were met with strident opposition for villagers.
Residents and Stretham Parish Council said the previous plans would block views of the village’s historic centre and were inappropriate for new homes, and they were subsequently withdrawn in February.
Some five months later, and following extensive public consultation, the plans were redrawn in a bid to get approval from council planners.
In their submission, the applicants said: “The fact remains that this site fulfils at relevant policy criteria, is ready for development and no other site has come forward so it is first past the post.”
You may also want to watch:
According to the plans, the homes will be in keeping with the character of homes in the village and will use “traditional spans, roof pitches and materials”.
Villagers have reacted angrily however, voicing their concern to the authority.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 10 Care home still 'requires improvement'
Mr and Mrs Parsons, of Wilburton Road, told planners: “The amount of noise and general upheaval we would experience from having so much traffic travelling past our house, down such a small access road, has to be considered.”
Sid and Carol Cullum, also of Wilburton Road, added: “We find it totally unacceptable that the applicant and/or his agents have failed to correct the serious errors that they were made aware of in January 2012.”
The planning committee will discuss the application on Wednesday.