Still no announcement on operator for Shade supermarket in Soham
- Credit: Archant
The wait to find out which supermarket operator will open for business in Soham is set to drag on into the winter as developers continue negotiations with two interested parties.
Harrier Developments had the final details about its application, for a store in The Shade, rubbed-stamped by councillors at East Cambridgeshire District Council last night.
It was agreed that £150,000 will be spend on transport improvements, including a three-day-a-week bus service serving the town and the supermarket, with £100,000 set aside for town centre improvements.
But Harrier was no nearer to revealing the names of the supermarkets with which it is locked in negotiations at Wednesday’s meeting.
Liberal Democrat councillors had pushed Harrier for names at last month’s meeting of the planning committee but were told by the council’s legal officers that, as it is not a planning consideration, Harrier could not be forced to reveal names.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Dent, of Harrier, said last month negotiations with the two interested parties may not be settled until a planning dispute in Newmarket is settled.
Soham councillor Colin Fordham said: “I am so pleased to think that this supermarket is happening to Soham, we are now the bride and not the bridesmaid. Let’s get this thing on the road.”
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road