Still no announcement on operator for Shade supermarket in Soham
- Credit: Archant
The wait to find out which supermarket operator will open for business in Soham is set to drag on into the winter as developers continue negotiations with two interested parties.
Harrier Developments had the final details about its application, for a store in The Shade, rubbed-stamped by councillors at East Cambridgeshire District Council last night.
It was agreed that £150,000 will be spend on transport improvements, including a three-day-a-week bus service serving the town and the supermarket, with £100,000 set aside for town centre improvements.
But Harrier was no nearer to revealing the names of the supermarkets with which it is locked in negotiations at Wednesday’s meeting.
Liberal Democrat councillors had pushed Harrier for names at last month’s meeting of the planning committee but were told by the council’s legal officers that, as it is not a planning consideration, Harrier could not be forced to reveal names.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Dent, of Harrier, said last month negotiations with the two interested parties may not be settled until a planning dispute in Newmarket is settled.
Soham councillor Colin Fordham said: “I am so pleased to think that this supermarket is happening to Soham, we are now the bride and not the bridesmaid. Let’s get this thing on the road.”
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 6 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Dessert-lover travelled 150 miles north for ‘TikTok famous’ waffle