Soham s award-winning Viva Youth Theatre group is hoping to return to the prestigious Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August with its latest production. Viva Youth Theatre performed the musical Fame at last year s festival to a sold-out audience, notching u
Soham's award-winning Viva Youth Theatre group is hoping to return to the prestigious Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August with its latest production.
Viva Youth Theatre performed the musical Fame at last year's festival to a sold-out audience, notching up a Fringe award in the process.
The group hopes to follow up this success with Back to the 80s, a musical based around classic hits of the decade that gave us Prince and Madonna, but the race is now on to raise the £16,000 needed to fund the trip.
Martha Hazelden, youth arts co-ordinator at the group, said: "Rehearsals are going extremely well with an enthusiastic and focused cast - our main challenge this year will be raising the funds to get this small but dedicated group on the road and up to Edinburgh."
You may also want to watch:
In a bid to reach this target, the youth section of the group has organised a cabaret night, on Friday, June 23, at the Ross Peers Sports Centre, Soham.
Admission is just £2 (£1.50 concessions), and promises to be a packed programme of entertainment, with all money raised going towards the trip.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
The cast is also hoping to find sponsors for the trip to Edinburgh. Anyone who is interested can contact the group on the number below.
INFO: Tickets for the event are available from The Viva Centre, 7 Churchgate Street, Soham, or from Martha Hazelden on 01353 722228.