Remember those who died by visiting a memorial inside an Ely church
PUBLISHED: 10:32 05 November 2018
People are invited to visit an Ely church on the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1 to remember those who died.
The chapel wardens at the Church of St Peter-in-Ely say everyone is welcome to visit the war memorial inside which commemorates the life of local soldiers.
In 1922 a tablet commemorating ‘old boys of St Peter’s Class, Ely’ killed in the First World War was placed in St Peter’s Church, Broad Street.
It was put in place by their friend and catechist, Harold Archer, of Market Place, Ely.
Janet Fairweather and Chip Coakley, church wardens, say everyone is welcome to visit to mark a century since peace was called on November 11, 1911.
There will also be a special Remembrance Day Sung Eucharist at 9.30 am at the church on Sunday November 11, or visit the church between 2.30 and 4.30pm the same day, when there will be an opportunity to view the memorial and let wardens know of any family traditions relating to the men remembered on it.
The memorial originally bore 22 names, one of which was later erased.
The inscription records the young men’s names and the streets in Ely where they lived.
Arthur Canham and George Canham of Annesdale
John Thomas Cook, Leslie C. Covill, Albert E. Pryor and Victor Skelton of Back Hill
Percy Woods of Broad Street
Albert Taylor of Chapel Street
George H. Benton of Deacons Lane
Albert Cowley of Forehill
Bertram Dorling of Lynn Road
John P. Sadler of New Barns Road
Sidney Benton and Herbert Armsby of Newnham
John H Chapman of Nutholt Lane
Leonard Benton and Alfred W. Wayman of Potters Lane
John T. Hamey of Prickwillow Road
Percy T, Bidwell of Victoria Street
William Cole of Willow Walk
Albert M. Hitch of Winfarthing Lane.