Square Peg fashion show set to raise funds for library and autism support hub in Ely
- Credit: Archant
The Square Peg Fashion Show returns for its second year next month with the aim of raising funds for a library and autism support hub in the heart of Ely.
The fashion show, which is this year being held at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, hopes to provide more facilities for children and adults with autism or special education needs.
The Square Peg was set up by Esther Harris in 2012, initially to raise funds for her son, who has autism, to have therapy.
The organisation-turned-charity’s goal is to raise money and awareness for special needs children in the Cambridgeshire area, with a focus towards supporting parents and children.
Esther said: “The organisation is being turned into a charity to bridge a gap between what special needs families want and what they think they can get.
“Most families seek advice from a doctor at the start of their journey to help their children, some are still coming home with a diagnosis and very little else.
“The charity will seek to build relationships with the agencies, service providers and private therapists, coaches and businesses to provide a “one-stop shop” for families to access support and information - both virtually via our website, and physically in our hub to house counselling, support groups, workshops and training for families and individuals.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 9 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
“Their door will always be open to anyone seeking help, from diagnosis onward”, she added.
Tickets for the fashion show, which takes place on Saturday October 24 from 7pm, can be purchased through www.thesquarepeg.org.uk