Square Peg fashion show set to raise funds for library and autism support hub in Ely
- Credit: Archant
The Square Peg Fashion Show returns for its second year next month with the aim of raising funds for a library and autism support hub in the heart of Ely.
The fashion show, which is this year being held at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, hopes to provide more facilities for children and adults with autism or special education needs.
The Square Peg was set up by Esther Harris in 2012, initially to raise funds for her son, who has autism, to have therapy.
The organisation-turned-charity’s goal is to raise money and awareness for special needs children in the Cambridgeshire area, with a focus towards supporting parents and children.
Esther said: “The organisation is being turned into a charity to bridge a gap between what special needs families want and what they think they can get.
You may also want to watch:
“Most families seek advice from a doctor at the start of their journey to help their children, some are still coming home with a diagnosis and very little else.
“The charity will seek to build relationships with the agencies, service providers and private therapists, coaches and businesses to provide a “one-stop shop” for families to access support and information - both virtually via our website, and physically in our hub to house counselling, support groups, workshops and training for families and individuals.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
“Their door will always be open to anyone seeking help, from diagnosis onward”, she added.
Tickets for the fashion show, which takes place on Saturday October 24 from 7pm, can be purchased through www.thesquarepeg.org.uk