Sponsors needed for this year’s Ely Christmas lights switch-on
ORGANISERS of the this year’s Ely Christmas lights switch on ceremony have already lined up a great night of entertainment - and now they need funding from local businesses to make sure the night is an event the city can be proud of.
Around �5,500 is needed to ensure that the night is a triumph - in the past acts from the TV X Factor programme have appeared - and a secret act has already been booked.
“Last year’s event attracted over 6,000 people and all the acts live on stage were very successful, and we are confident this year’s act will be equally popular,” said show manager Ian Newstead.
“Whilst we are working hard towards raising the �5,500 of funds needed to put this free event on for the people of Ely, we are looking to secure sponsorship from local businesses.”
The switch-on event is due to take place on Friday 25 November; the celebrations will run from 4pm to 8.30pm, with the switch due to be flicked at 6.45pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Newstead added: “Every donation is important to us, as this event is not council funded. We are looking for donations from �50 upwards.”
In return for such sponsorship, local businesses which get involved will have the opportunity to be mentioned in advertising for the event, and to put up banners alongside the stage.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 7 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 10 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
The four hour entertainment extravaganza will take place on the Market place, with local dance groups and a theatre production company due to take to the stage, as well as the mystery guest.
There will be craft and charity stalls, fairground attractions, Santa’s grotto, and an open top bus offering tours around the city.
Anyone who wants to know more about becoming a sponsor, or wants to book a stall, can contact Ian Newstead on 01353 669090 or 07711 492075 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.