Special Feature: Havoc of FOG
FATS, oils and grease – not a pleasant combination for anyone, but they are causing a particular environmental problem for Anglian Water. These materials, abbreviated to FOG by the water company, are wreaking havoc with the water supply by causing blocka
FATS, oils and grease - not a pleasant combination for anyone, but they are causing a particular environmental problem for Anglian Water.
These materials, abbreviated to FOG by the water company, are wreaking havoc with the water supply by causing blockages in sewers and forcing undesirable waste into rivers and streams and on to our roads.
A spokesman from Anglian Water said the company was highlighting the problem to its customers.
"People don't see the link until it's pointed out to them because they are in the habit of pouring fats and oils down the sink," she said.
You may also want to watch:
"But these materials, and others, like cotton buds and plastic can cause blockages."
World FOG production has grown from 113 million tonnes in 2000 to 131 million tonnes in 2003.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Anglian Water suggest that fat should be stored in tubs or jars to feed to the birds or dispose of elsewhere.
The company's brightly-coloured fat traps are free to customers and there is a recipe included to turn the waste into a tasty treat for birds.
More than 10,000 have already been given away.
Oil and grease can also be taken to waste recycling centres and converted into biodiesel.
INFO: Visit www.anglianwater.co.uk for more information.