South East Cambs MP blames new rules for expenses hike
SOUTH East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice has blamed the “stupidity” of the expenses system for a stark increase in his recent claims.
The former agriculture minister had been claiming mortgage interest payments of �422.45 a month for a property he was renting in Kennington, London, but a recent change in the expenses system banned MPs from doing so.
The new rules still allow MPs to claim rent on one property however, and in the weeks before the tougher expenses rules come into force, Mr Paice let out his flat in Kennington to new tenants and rented another one nearby for �350 a week.
As a result, the recently knighted MPs expenses claim on housing from the taxpayer rocketed from �5,069 up to �18,200 a year. More than 30 other members of parliament have made a similar move.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Mr Paice, who has broken no rules, said: “The stupidity of the system is that I was quite happy claiming my mortgage interest relief. The taxpayer was a lot better off that way.”
You may also want to watch:
The Fordham resident confirmed that it was the recent rule change that prompted him to rent out his Kennington flat, arguing that he shouldn’t have to subsidise his own job.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.