Soildier Ends Up Driving Into Bush After Drinking Four Pints
A SOLDIER S car became embedded in bushes on a Soham roundabout after he lost control of the vehicle in the early hours of the morning. The exhaust was damaged and the door of the Peugeot 106 was open when police arrived at the A142 roundabout, and found
A SOLDIER'S car became embedded in bushes on a Soham roundabout after he lost control of the vehicle in the early hours of the morning.
The exhaust was damaged and the door of the Peugeot 106 was open when police arrived at the A142 roundabout, and found Robin Harris in the driver's seat.
"He appeared to be drunk," prosecutor Laura Mardell told Ely magistrates. Harris, who serves with the Royal Anglian Regiment, gave a breath test reading of 51 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
Harris, 21, of Hethersett Close, Newmarket, admitted drink-driving on February 28. He told the court: "I know I have been stupid."
You may also want to watch:
Speaking on the soldier's behalf, Captain Hudson said Harris had trained as a flute and bugle player in the army, but also served with a machine gun platoon.
"That day Harris had drunk four pints of strong lager before 5pm," he said. "He was distracted following an argument with his fianc�e. He realises he was na�ve to think he was fit to drive, and was extremely lucky that no one was hurt in the crash."
- 1 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 2 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 5 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
Harris was banned from driving for 14 months and fined �220, with �60 costs and a �15 surcharge.