Soham Village College says ‘pick up a book’ by launching ‘Epic Adventures in Literature’ book club for pupils
- Credit: Archant
Keen readers from Soham Village College have launched a book club to try and help its pupils engage with literature.
The ‘Epic Adventures in Literature’ club aims to give students a taste of a broad range of classic and modern literature in partnership with the Staploe Education Trust, which has launched its own drive to encourage young people to enjoy books.
The Trust has donated hundreds of books to schools to schools around the district, including the Shade, Weatheralls Primary School and Kennett Primary School.
The club, supported by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Collaborative Outreach Network, is offering over 300 new books for pupils aged 12 to 14 throughout 2017.
Executive headteacher, Dr Carin Taylor, said: “We have been overwhelmed by support for our Reading Matters initiative.
You may also want to watch:
“There will be lots of events during the year to encourage everyone, young and old, to pick up a book and enjoy reading.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town