Soham Village College are district rounders champs
- Credit: Archant
A group of girls from Soham Village College have earned the title of district rounders champions.
The 13 girls from Year 9 girls saw success when they took part in the closely run Cambridge and district schools rounders tournament.
Soham were placed in a strong group with St Bedes, Bottisham Village College, Melbourn Village College and Cottenham Village College.
They started slowly but played well to win all of their group matches, with particular strength by Mae Rix as the bowler, and strong fielding by Isobel Alvarez-Garmon, Niamh Hilbert and Emily Goodchild.
Winning their group ensured progress straight through to the final, which was against a strong team from Bassingbourn Village College.
You may also want to watch:
At first it was extremely close, with it looking like Bassingbourn might come out on top.
But some excellent work in the final stages on the batting innings from the girls, most notably Ciara O’Brien, who scored the winning half rounder, ensured that Soham were able to walk away as district champions, for the first time in many years.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
The full squad was Mae Rix (captain), Isobel Alvarez-Garmon, Emily Goodchild, Niamh Gilbert, Ciara O’Brien, Bella Caffarelli, Hannah Richards, Tors McIlwraith, Izzy Law, Gemma Booth, Tanisha Bird, Megan Pithers, Gabby Asker.