Soham school’s fourth month search for a lollipop crossing attendant
ST Andrew’s School in Soham is still on the look-out for a new lollipop crossing attendant - four months after the last patrol attendant resigned.
A mum of three expressed her concern about the situation on the interactive East Cambs website, ShapeYourPlace, who said the situation “is not good enough, especially when children are walking to school along.”
In reply, Cambridgeshire County Council said advertising literature about the vacancy was sent to the school when the previous crossing attendant resigned back in the summer.
As part of the recruitment campaign, this was repeated in September, but no-one has applied for the job.
The head teacher is aware of the situation, and the role has been offered as a job share, so it can be split between morning and afternoon sessions if necessary.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “All schools in this situation are asked to send home a note to parents, stating ‘school crossing patrols are a permissive function not a statutory requirement.’
“Therefore, the county council, school or police have no legal obligation to provide cover for vacant sites. Therefore, it remains the legal responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure their children are take to and from school safely.”
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 10 Care home still 'requires improvement'
The council has assured parents that if someone applies for the vacancy, “the application will be processed immediately.”