Soham school’s fourth month search for a lollipop crossing attendant
ST Andrew’s School in Soham is still on the look-out for a new lollipop crossing attendant - four months after the last patrol attendant resigned.
A mum of three expressed her concern about the situation on the interactive East Cambs website, ShapeYourPlace, who said the situation “is not good enough, especially when children are walking to school along.”
In reply, Cambridgeshire County Council said advertising literature about the vacancy was sent to the school when the previous crossing attendant resigned back in the summer.
As part of the recruitment campaign, this was repeated in September, but no-one has applied for the job.
The head teacher is aware of the situation, and the role has been offered as a job share, so it can be split between morning and afternoon sessions if necessary.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “All schools in this situation are asked to send home a note to parents, stating ‘school crossing patrols are a permissive function not a statutory requirement.’
“Therefore, the county council, school or police have no legal obligation to provide cover for vacant sites. Therefore, it remains the legal responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure their children are take to and from school safely.”
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 6 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 9 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 10 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
The council has assured parents that if someone applies for the vacancy, “the application will be processed immediately.”