Soham’s very own community land trust looking to take control of housing development in the town
- Credit: Archant
Soham’s up-and-coming community land trust is already setting its sights on new affordable housing and business units for the town.
The Thrift Trust for Soham was established earlier this year to allow the people of Soham to take control of the future of development in the town – giving priority to those who live locally and want to buy a house.
The trust is similar in its aims to the Stretham and Wilburton Community Land Trust, which has just seen plans for more than 30 new homes and a doctor’s surgery approved in Stretham.
Trust member and Soham Town Councillor Rosemary Aitchison, said: “We are hoping to do some affordable housing in Soham and perhaps some small business units.
“We’re very fortunate because there is an area around the outside of the town which has been designated for development, and part of the land in that area is owned by the town council. And the town council agreed to allow the Thrift Trust to use some of their land for the trust’s business.”
Although Cllr Aitchison said the trust was at the very early stages of planning, she was keen to speak to people around the town about what sort of houses they wanted to see.
She said: “We’re looking at talking to the general public in Soham, to find out what sort of houses they think they would like to have, what size, how many rooms they need to have, how much space will be round about them.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“And any other things they might like, like small business units and that sort of thing.”
If you would like to find out more, or get involved with the trust, contact Soham Town Council on 01353 723472.