Soham pupil Kate receives prestigious national award
- Credit: Archant
Soham schoolgirl Kate Carter has received a prestigious national award for her work in combating bullying in her schools.
Kate, a pupil of Soham Village College, was presented with the Diana Anti-Bullying Award at a special assembly on Friday after being nominated by Michelle Davey headteacher at her previous school, St Andrew’s primary.
She began her anti-bullying ambassador role at St Andrew’s in 2013 after being voted in by her fellow pupils and went on to join the National Youth Board, part of the Diana Award charity, as an anti-bullying ambassador since moving to the secondary school.
Kate, 12, has been influential in new anti-bullying approaches at Soham Village College including giving older students responsibility for leading work amongst the student body in this area.
She regularly returns to St Andrew’s on an organised and voluntary basis to encourage and support their ambassadors as well as representing the Diana Award charity, which was set up by the late Princess of Wales.
You may also want to watch:
Kate is described by staff at Soham Village College as being popular and highly respected among all other pupils in the school (not just her immediate peer group).
The Diana Award has recognised Kate’s tremendous commitment and in recognition have awarded ‘The Diana Anti-bullying Award’ to her.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Kate received her award in the end of year assembly. Unfortunately the Diana Anti Bullying Foundation where unable to attend to present the award in person but sent a pre-recorded message to be played to Kate prior to her award being presented jointly by St Andrew’s Primary School, and by Dr Carin Taylor, Principal at Soham Village College.