Soham Pumpkin Fair returned this weekend for its 41st birthday, offering ferret racing, break dancing and everything in-between!
- Credit: Archant
Full of colour, Soham Pumpkin Fair celebrated its 41st birthday this weekend as it returned to the recreation ground.
One of the best attended in its time, mass pumpkin displays, vegetable growing competitions, ferret racing and live dance groups ensured that there was plenty to see and do for the thousands of people in attendance.
Mr Pumpkin, Mark Williams, was also on hand to entertain the crowds in his traditional orange and green outfit.
He said: “It was a gorgeous sunny day and it was so lovely to see good crowds coming out. Everyone loved it.
“We had everything from ferret racing to break dancing and everything in between.”
Mr Williams added that Soham’s is one of just six pumpkin fairs left in the UK and that it is always a lovely event for the community and region.
Additionally, there were numerous market stalls, a BBQ, tea and coffee, ice cream and classic cars at the event.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 9 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
Money raised from the fair will go towards Weatherall Primary School’s allotment, Little Miracles, Soham Young Farmers and Soham Heritage and Tourism.
He added: “We’re still totting up, but we are on course to have raised a four figure sum!”
Once again, Stuart Holden, of Red Lodge, took home the prize for the biggest pumpkin, weighing in at a massive 297kg.