Police find no evidence of possible abduction of teenage girl from Soham -and thank community for rapid response
- Credit: Archant
Police praised a passer by for raising the possibility of a young girl being abducted from Soham – even though a major hunt drew a blank.
“In these situations there are many scenarios that can legitimately explain what the witness saw, without us drawing the worst conclusion,” said Sergeant Phil Priestley.
“It’s our job to retain an open mind to all situations and to protect our children, without generating any undue concern.”
He thanked everyone for sharing news of the incident when a caller contacted police after believing a teenage girl was being coerced into a vehicle on Brewhouse Lane, Soham, on Thursday February 2.
“Officers have conducted a thorough investigation, including speaking to local people, reviewing CCTV footage and working closely with schools and parents in the area,” said Sgt Priestley.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to reassure you that there have been no reports of missing girls that match the description given and the investigation has found no evidence of a criminal offence taking place.
He added: “Soham Village College were outstanding in their actions and we have worked together closely to ensure that all of their children are safe and well.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
“There is a natural anxiety that tends to result in speculation about such reports - we can confidently update the community that the situation has been resolved and there is nothing to worry about.
Since appealing for witnesses and conducting house to house inquiries, the response from East Cambs police has been credited as “immediate, rapid and unfaltering” on social media.
One person commended the police, writing: “Well I think the police showed an amazing response and certainly took this very seriously.
“Glad no one has been reported missing but very reassuring to know how seriously this call was taken.”
The incident related to a girl described roughly 13-years-old, white, with medium length brown hair.
Police insist there is nothing to suggest that any criminal offences have taken place and no girls matching the description in the county or surrounding area have been reported missing.