Police find no evidence of possible abduction of teenage girl from Soham -and thank community for rapid response
- Credit: Archant
Police praised a passer by for raising the possibility of a young girl being abducted from Soham – even though a major hunt drew a blank.
“In these situations there are many scenarios that can legitimately explain what the witness saw, without us drawing the worst conclusion,” said Sergeant Phil Priestley.
“It’s our job to retain an open mind to all situations and to protect our children, without generating any undue concern.”
He thanked everyone for sharing news of the incident when a caller contacted police after believing a teenage girl was being coerced into a vehicle on Brewhouse Lane, Soham, on Thursday February 2.
“Officers have conducted a thorough investigation, including speaking to local people, reviewing CCTV footage and working closely with schools and parents in the area,” said Sgt Priestley.
“We’d like to reassure you that there have been no reports of missing girls that match the description given and the investigation has found no evidence of a criminal offence taking place.
He added: “Soham Village College were outstanding in their actions and we have worked together closely to ensure that all of their children are safe and well.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
“There is a natural anxiety that tends to result in speculation about such reports - we can confidently update the community that the situation has been resolved and there is nothing to worry about.
Since appealing for witnesses and conducting house to house inquiries, the response from East Cambs police has been credited as “immediate, rapid and unfaltering” on social media.
One person commended the police, writing: “Well I think the police showed an amazing response and certainly took this very seriously.
“Glad no one has been reported missing but very reassuring to know how seriously this call was taken.”
The incident related to a girl described roughly 13-years-old, white, with medium length brown hair.
Police insist there is nothing to suggest that any criminal offences have taken place and no girls matching the description in the county or surrounding area have been reported missing.